Adding length limits is possible both during project creation and for existing projects.
The segment length monitoring feature counts the number of characters in a segment. When multiple segments form a paragraph in the source document, then XTM limits the length of a paragraph as a whole.
- When you are creating a new project and have specified the key project details and options, scroll to the Settings section. Select Monitor target length and decide how to set the length limit.
- If you want the translation to be longer by no more than 20% compared to the source, enter number 20 in the Source plus X %.
If you want the translation to be longer by no more than 20 characters compared to the source, enter number 20 in the Source plus X characters.
If you want your translation to have no more than a specific number of characters, such as 100, enter 100 in the X characters.
You can also use the fields below Target cannot be shorter than to specify that translation has to be shorter than the source text.
- You can as well change your length limit settings for an existing project in the Project Editor. Go to the Projects tab > Project List and click the project where you want to change the length limit settings.
- Scroll down on the General info tab of the Project Editor. To enable length limits, select Monitor target length, and then adjust the required length settings.
- When the project is in translation, XTM will display segment errors when the entered translation is too short or too long.